Love the Sweetheart Candy Hearts? Me too. I’m sad we won’t see them on the shelves in stores this year. I realize they taste a little like chalk, but I still enjoy them and the memories from childhood they conjure up for me. This Valentine’s Day will be the first time in 153 years Sweethearts Candy Hearts will not be available, despite being labeled the most popular candy for the holiday in 2018 by Candystore.com.
The reason these candy hearts will not be available this Valentine’s Day holiday is because Necco, the creator of these candies, closed suddenly earlier this year. An investment company purchased Necco at an auction and later sold to Spangler Candy Company, which owns Dum Dum lollipops. Sadly, Spangler Candy Company did not have enough lead time to make the 8 billion conversation hearts needed to celebrate the holiday in 2019 properly. I am happy to hear Spangler reported they will be ready for Valentine’s Day 2020.
In the meantime, some reasonable alternatives are available for the holiday this February.
- Brach’s Conversation Hearts – Brach’s version of sweetheart candy look similar, and honestly, taste the same to me. Try them and see what you think.
- Sour Patch Conversation Hearts – If you are looking for conversation hearts and don’t mind a more sour taste, this one might work for you.
- Sweet Tart Hearts – Another sour option. Not for me, but again, might work for you if you are like the taste of SweetTarts.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts – Offering its new line of heart-shaped Valentine Conversation Doughnuts, Krispy Kreme is hoping to fill the gap and solve your holiday sweet-tooth needs. According to food website Delish, the limited-time donuts will be available Jan. 30 until Valentine’s Day. They will come in four flavors: strawberries and “kreme,” raspberry, cake batter, and chocolate “kreme.”
- Dunkin’ – Heart-shaped donuts are back this year with several varieties at participating locations nationwide.They are also selling donuts dressed up with Bling Sprinkles to make the treats sparkle. If you are willing to get away from the conversation heart idea altogether, these donuts might do the trick. Personally, I prefer to stay with the conversation theme, but not everyone feels as I do.
Do you know of other good options to replace the Sweetheart Candy Hearts this year on Valentine’s Day? Let us know if the comment section below!