If you are a parent who encourages their child to play outside, good for you. Children need to be outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine! But your child may not be happy about being dragged away from a favorite TV show or video game. When they ask for ideas about what they should do outside, be prepared with some good answers.
Things for your child to do outdoors
(this list includes some activities to do alone and some with friends)
- Jump rope
- Do carwheels
- Find different types of leaves and then identify them later
- Build a stick fort
- Dig a home and bury something (maybe a time capsule?)
- Wash the car
- Draw a picture on paper
- Draw with sidewalk chalk
- Find beautiful rocks
- Make a lemonade stand
- Close your eyes and try to identify 10 sounds
- Write a story or poem about what you see
- Spot shapes in the clouds
- Sit and do nothing at all
- Play catch with a friend or by yourself by bouncing the ball off the house
- Play games (ie hopscotch, tag, kick the can, kickball )
- Have a water balloon fight
- Have a scavenger hunt
- Play Charades
Do you have other ideas? Please share in the comment section below!
Related article: Whatever Happened to “Go Outside and Play”?